Thursday, March 31, 2011

39 years of Short-Term Memory Loss by Tom Davis

This is the most messed-up person I’ve ever read about. Tom Davis was the writing partner of Al Franken as the two buddies from Minnesota somehow got their comedy act recognized by the producers of Saturday Night Live. I loved Saturday Night Live in those early years with Chevy Chase, Dan Akroyd, John Belushi, Steve Martin, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtain, Laraine Newman, etc., but I never really thought any of the sketches with Franken and Davis were funny. They were either too understated or just too crude and cruel.
In this memoir narrated by Davis, the author recounts in anecdotes the many celebrities with whom he took drugs and goofed off. This man doesn’t seem to have ever done anything responsible and has made no real contributions to the world other than to demean others and supply his friends with drugs. It sounds as though he was a rebellious hippie who never grew up.
I admit that it was fun hearing some of the anecdotes about celebrities, so the book was not a total waste of time. I was able to listen while I was getting other things done and if I was more pre-occupied with what I was doing than listening, it really didn’t matter. I guess that mirrors Tom’s life – kind of fun, and maybe not a total waste.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home