Monday, August 10, 2009

Still no comments, but I hope there are some readers out there. I'd enjoy hearing from you.

****

I have read in the past few hours a book of one-act plays written by six Newbery Award Winning authors: Avi, Susan Cooper, Sharon Creech, Patricia MacLachlan, Katherine Paterson, and Richard Peck. I've loved novels by these authors. In Acting Out they have created six fun plays for teachers to use with classes or for kids to perform for families and neighbors. Each play concludes with brief production notes from the playwrights. Break a leg!
(The editor is Justin Chandra; published by Atheneum, 2008)

*****
A week ago our local bookstore, 'Books and Company' of Oconomowoc, WI offered a promotion based on the new movie "Julie & Julia". For $20. one could have their choice of two books: Julie & Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell or My Life in France by Julia Child. You would also receive a ticket to see the movie on Sunday at 4:30 pm and then and invitation back to the bookstore for conversation, wine and hors d'oeuvres. Sounded really good to me and I also found three friends who wanted a piece of the action. I was the only one who read the book (Julie and Julia) before going to the movie. Meg read My Life in France. We enjoyed the books and really thought the movie was great fun! Meryl Streep should get an Oscar for her portrayal of Julia! Amy Adams was adorable and made the character of Julie much less whiney and annoying than I had expected from the book. The hors d'uevres and wine at Books and Company were delicious and kept the good mood going for another couple of hours. Now I want to read the biography: Appetite for Life: Julia Child by Noel Riley Fitch.

"So many books, so little time!"

Bon Appetite!



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home