Monday, March 08, 2010

Incontinent on the Continent: My Mother, Her Walker, and Our Grand Tour of Italy by Jane Christmas
I loved the title of this book so much I just had to buy it. I dream of traveling to Italy, but would not ever dream of taking my own incontinent mother with me.
She wouldn’t want to go, anyway; and she would tell me not to go!
The author describes the feeling she has of longing to go to this beautiful, romantic country and also her longing to repair the rifts in her relationship with her mom. Those feelings resonate in my own heart. I could feel the agony and ecstasy as Jane tried to enjoy the sights and sensations of the places she had spent months anticipating, while dealing with her sometimes unreasonable yet sympathetic parent.
We love our moms even when they drive us nuts!



Friends, Lovers, Chocolate by Alexander McCall Smith
For the reader who likes to analyze, for the writers and readers who love words, for the American who loves Europe, this series about philosopher Isabell Dalhousie is perfect. I am completely drawn in by this character and her setting. I can’t wait for a BBC mini-series on these books to be produced! (I don’t have any clue; I’m just postulating)
Poor Isabell is so busy trying to reason through philosophical dilemmas and becoming duty-bound to resolve other people’s problems that she misses out on some personal excitement that is within reach. When she is helping her niece Cat she also meets the recipient of a heart transplant and becomes involved in helping him work through some issues. One impulsive assumption sends her off in the wrong direction, but her secret love (a much younger man) helps to set her straight.
Now I need to read book #3 in the series!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home